There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Theory #4: Black Holes and Higgs Bosons



Theory:
The Higgs boson, or the ‘god particle’ was “discovered” yesterday. Scientists are 99% sure of their confirmation, yet we physicists still need to be 100% sure for a theory to be valid. I promised myself a little over a year ago that I would do a couple laps around my kitchen. The Higgs boson is the heaviest particle and supposedly is what makes everything have mass. It happens when a Higgs boson passes through a particle and an electrostatic reaction occurs making the particle have mass. But I also think this particle is what makes black holes. Black holes can’t be seen, but they cause warps in space-time. When they have their “meal” of whatever is around (black holes are not picky) they utterly absorb it. Nothing can escape, not even photons (particles of light.) I think black holes were made before the Big Bang and still exist. What I think is that when there was pure nothingness is that there were a bunch of Higgs floating around. Because there was nothing to give mass to through an electrostatic reaction, they just accumulated in a bunch of clusters creating black holes. Once the Big Bang occured, and actual matter started to appear, these black holes interacted with particles to give them mass while absorbing them. Maybe when these particles pass through the black holes, they take a shortcut through space and time. This type of black hole, the type that contains shortcuts through the space-time, is called a wormhole. Maybe when the particles pass through the wormhole and get spit out the other end, it creates a “big bang”, spawning a whole new universe with more black holes. And then, of course, more black holes get formed in universe due to supernovas (the explosion that occurs when a star destroys itself, in a nutshell.) Now I will share with you some properties of a black hole.
Properties of a Black Hole:
  • Black holes do indeed have mass.
  • Black holes do not have any electric charge.
  • Thet do not have angular momentum either.
  • Because black holes don’t have an electric charge or angular momentum, black holes’ gravitational fields cannot be distinguished from any other spherical object in the cosmos with the same mass.
How I Thought of this Theory:
I was paralyzed with excitement this morning when my mom told me she had heard that scientists had practically found the Higgs boson, although I didn’t do any laps because it hasn’t been COMPLETELY confirmed. I was thinking about it and thought ‘I have to be able to come up with a theory when such a big milestone has pretty much happened.’ So henceforth I thought of this theory after an extra long thinking session. And by the way, happy scientific celebration!*
*And happy Fourth of July! Even scientists never forget about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment