There was an error in this gadget

Monday, July 23, 2012

Theory #5: Oscillating Particles


Theory:
Quantum particles called oscillators vibrate and make little waves at such high frequencies that nothing could detect it or hear it. These waves would compose everything from the smallest charm quark climbing upward: quarks, bosons, atoms, molecules, complex molecular chain structures, etc. The frequency would probably be around 10 to the power of negative 1 septillion Hertz, or (10*-10)* 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 waves up and down per second. Not even particle detection technology as sophisticated as the LHC’s (large hadron collider) could detect them, which explains why there has been no evidence of these “oscillators”. I hope evidence will in fact be found in the future for this theory because this is one of my particular favorites. A black hole would stop these oscillators by keeping them from oscillating, which would stop making all these jiggering waves, so in turn stopping any matter from being there at all. Quantum particles can be in more than one place at the same time, so that means that the waves could be hopping around all over the place, thus creating alternate universes. Scientists have found so many types of waves, so why not one more? Now I will share with you some little tidbits facts about waves.
Facts About Waves and their Properties:
  • Albert Einstein theorized that light in fact might not be a wave and maybe a particle. This theory opposed years upon centuries of work. (Yeah, he’s like that. You know the I’m-smart-so-I’m-making-a-theory-that’s-the-complete-opposite-of-what-people-think type. Same thing with his theory of relativity, which is probably my most favorite theory and most famous theory.)
  • Particles of light are called photons.
  • James Clerk Maxwell did my favorite experiment, which proves light can be in two places at once.
  • Electric and magnetic waves are both one unified force, called electromagnetism.
How I Thought of this Theory:
I was in Hawaii for 10 long days, so I was kinda in relaxation mode (OMG! I never say kinda unless I’m super relaxed and lazy! What a surprise!). Then it hit me. We were on the plane back to Massachusetts. It was like somebody had just wacked me in the face with a poker straight from the fireplace. I hadn’t read anything science related the whole trip, so my thinking brain needed a couple screws tightened. Once I read a couple of my science magazines, I got right back up to doing my blog (I mean really, in reality, not many people update their blog on a vacation unless you're my mom with a laptop updating your travel blog.). Then I read a bit in a book about a physicist named Max Planck who I didn’t know much about. It talked about his theory of balck body radiation, which discusses packets of energy, or quanta. This gave me even more motivation for an entry in my blog. And my favorite Hawaiian animal is the state fish: humuhumunukunukuapua’a. I really have memorized it and can say it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment